History of Mathematics. Topical Surveys
Surveys with a tight focus
- The Exact Sciences in Antiquity
- Otto Neugebauer, $6.
- A History of Greek Mathematics
- Sir Thomas Heath. 2 volumes. $26.
- Thorough. Includes chapters on Pythagoras (2 in fact),
Thales, Euclid, Archimedes, conic sections, and Diophantus.
- Hellenistic Science and Culture in the last Three
- George Sarton. $14.
- Marvelous book.
- Algebra in Ancient and Modern Times
- Varadarajan. $25
- An attractive short account of the development of algebra.
- Prospects in Mathematics
- Conference Proceedings, Princeton 1996. $29
Back to resource
page for History of Algebra
History of Algebra Seminar Home
Professor Cherlin's Home Page.
Department of Mathematics
File date: Feb. 1999