Mathematics 552 Information
Abstract Algebra II
Information concerning the course Mathematics 552 (Abstract
taught in Spring 2017 by J. Tunnell is kept here.
The course will be a continuation of Mathematics 551.
It will meet Monday and Thursday 12:00-1:20 in
Hill 423. The following information is currently available about this
- Week 1
- Text Readings: Jacobson I:7.1-7.2, Jacobson II: 1.1-1.3 , 3.1, 3.7-3.9
- Week 1 Problem set 1 (Due 1/26/17)
- Week 1 expository reading:
- Week 2
- Text Readings: Jacobson 3.10
- Week 2 Problem set 2 (Due 2/2/17)
- Week 2 expository reading:
- Week 3
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 3.2, 3.5
- Week 3 Problem set 3 (Due 2/16/17
-due to snowday 2/9)
- Week 3 expository reading:
- Week 4
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 4.1-4.4
- Week 4 Problem set 4 (Due 2/23/17)
- Week 4 expository reading:
- Week 5
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 4.5, 5.1, 5.2
- Week 5 Problem set 5 (Due 3/2/17)
- Week 5 expository reading:
- Oral Midterm exams will be 3/3, 3/6, 3/7. The possible times are
listed here (available 9:00 AM
2/21/17). After you have chosen desired open time slots, email me your
choices ranked by preference. I will update the available times as students are scheduled
on a first come first served basis.
- Week 6
- Text Readings: Jacobson II: 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
- Week 6 Problem set 6 (Due 3/9/17)
- Week 7
- Text Readings: Wrapup of Semisimple rings and Representation Theory: Jacobson II: 5.1-5.3, 5.5, 5.6
- Week 7 Problem set 7 (Due 3/23/17)
- Week 8
- Text Readings: Field extensions, splitting fields, separable
Jacobson I: 4.1,4.3,4.4
- Week 8 Problem set 8 (Due 3/30/17)
- Week 9
- Text Readings: Separable polynomials and Galois Theory: Jacobson
- Week 9 Problem set 9 (Due 4/6/17)
- Week 10
- Text Readings: Galois Theory and Theory of Fields: Jacobson I: 4.5,4.6
- Week 10 Problem set 10 (Due 4/13/17)
- Week 10 expository reading:
- Week 11
- Text Readings: Solvable groups and Solvability by Radicals: Jacobson
- Week 11 Problem set 11 (Due 4/20/17)
- Week 12
- Text Readings: Galois groups of polynomials : Jacobson I:
- Week 12 Problem set 12 (Due 4/27/17)
- Week 13
- Text Readings: Applications of finite fields; Central Simple
Algebras: Jacobson I:4.16, Jacobson II:4.6, 4.7
- No further weekly problem sets (beyond the previous 12)
will be assigned. In lieu of an in-class final exam there
will be a take final problem set
- HOMEWORK submissions
- Homework will be accepted for grading until 5:00 PM, May 8.
A scan or pdf file of any homework that you wished to have
graded should be emailed to me before that cutoff time.
- Final problem set. Version
- There will be a final problem set in place of an in-class final.
The problem set will appear here
by 5:00 PM 5/1/17 and will be due at or
before 10:00 PM on 5/9/17. You may use any books or references that you
wish, but do not talk to people other than me about the problems. The
submission of the completed final problem set will be by email to me.
If you have a pdf copy send that, otherwise scan your submission and
email that to me.
Check back periodically to see if any updates to the problem set
are posted. Each posted version has a version and date at the top.
New versions will only be needed if misprints or errors are found.